I’ll be taking a group of 34 MBA students on an international business immersion trip to my native Brazil this Spring. We’ll be visiting about a dozen companies in the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. This is an initiative created by the awesome Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) at the University of Miami.
I’d like my students to be able to pronounce some of the main sounds in Portuguese correctly because I know Brazilians pay attention and really enjoy when foreigners make an effort to say things properly. Therefore, I created a video in which I go over what I consider to be some of the most important things to know when speaking Portuguese (there are others, but I didn’t want the video to be too long).
You can access it on my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzgoYFokBPk
Moreover, the 2016 Olympic Games are coming, so I figured these tips could be useful for a larger audience as well. I wish American sports casters would watch this video because they murdered the pronunciation of everything during the World Cup in 2014.
Bonus material: My daughter, Lavinia Lilith, a.k.a. #LLCoolBaby, makes a short appearance at around the halfway mark.
I recently had to convert a LaTeX document to HTML and, after looking into several alternatives, decided to go with htlatex. Because my document contains accented characters, I chose to use the UTF-8 encoding as that seems to be the trend. To convert a LaTeX source file called file.tex you can issue the command below, which will create two main files: file.css and file.html (warning: the space before -cunif is a must):
htlatex file.tex “xhtml,charset=utf-8″ ” -cunihtf -utf8″
Overall, I’m very happy with the results produced by htlatex. Nevertheless, as I loaded file.html on my iPhone, I noticed that mobile Safari does not render all ligatures properly. For example, it has no problem with the ‘fi’ ligature, but it displays a hollow square in place of the characters for ‘ff’ and ‘ffi’ ligatures. I have not tested other mobile browsers, so I’m not sure if this is only an issue with mobile Safari. Safari on my desktop computer does not exhibit this problem.
To be safe, I thought I’d be better off removing all ligatures from the HTML file, which led me to search around for their UTF-8 codes and to write a little command-shell script that uses Perl to perform the task. Since this might turn out to be useful to someone else out there, I decided to post my shell script here. Use it at your own risk and enjoy!
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xef\xac\x80/ff/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xef\xac\x81/fi/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xef\xac\x82/fl/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xef\xac\x83/ffi/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xef\xac\x84/ffl/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xc5\x92/OE/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xc5\x93/oe/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xc3\x86/AE/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xc3\xa6/ae/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xef\xac\x86/st/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xc4\xb2/IJ/g’ file.html
perl -pi -e ‘s/\xc4\xb3/ij/g’ file.html
By the way, I’m only concerned with Latin ligatures, but you can find UTF-8 codes for other ligatures on this page. Bonus: here’s another useful article related to this topic: The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!).